Effective clinical assessment and treatment interventions are dependent upon the ability of the clinician to utilize sound clinical reasoning skills. Evidence-based practice is limited as much by the clinician’s cognitive and communication skills as it is by the research itself. Refining communication and “thinking” skills is critical in this process. This session will address the impact of cognition (incl. perceptions, beliefs, cognitive biases and logical fallacies) and communication (verbal and non-verbal) on clinical reasoning.
- Identify the primary components of the clinical reasoning process.
- Define and discuss pertinent information related to cognition (including perceptions, beliefs, thinking and logic) in order to provide a broad foundation for clinical reasoning.
- Understand the role of feedback loops in the clinical reasoning process.
- Identify the principles and steps involved in communication (verbal and non-verbal) and the limiting factors related to each.
- Integrate the research on cognition (including logic, cognitive biases, and logical fallacies) into clinical examination skills.
|0-10 Minutes||Introduction and Overview|
|10-20 Minutes||Model Of Cognition And Clinical Reasoning|
|20-40 Minutes||Perceptions And Belief Systems|
|40-50 Minutes||Self Image|
|50-70 Minutes||Cognitive Bias And Logical Fallacies|
|70-85 Minutes||Verbal Communication Skills|
|85-100 Minutes||Non-Verbal Communication Skills|
|100-115 Minutes||Clinical Applications|
|115-120 Minutes||Question And Answer|
Course participation information
To ensure you are ready to participate, please complete our short Test Drive to prepare your computer to view the course.
Login and logout times will be recorded and documented.
Passing an online exam will be required to earn continuing education credit, where applicable.
Live Webinars allow presenter and participant interaction. The exam and course evaluation for these courses must be completed within 7 days of the event.
On-demand courses include texts, video and audio recordings of live webinars, and multimedia formats. The exam and course evaluation for on-demand courses must be completed within 30 days of course registration.
To participate in the course, complete the exam, and earn continuing education credit (where applicable), you must be a PhysicalTherapy.com member.
PhysicalTherapy.com is committed to providing equal opportunities in accordance with all applicable laws. If you are in need of a disability-related accommodation, please contact email@example.com. We will review your request and respond in a timely manner. Please note that we will require a minimum of 2 weeks to provide a reasonable accommodation for your request.
Visit our Contact us page or give us a call if you have questions.