Physical Therapy in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit
Course Learning Outcomes
- Describe the synactive theory of development as the basis for neonatal physical therapy management.
- Identify the special needs of the neonatal patient and correctly interpret their time out and interaction signals.
- Describe kangaroo care practices and list their effects on preterm infant development.
- Develop meaningful physical therapy goals for the NICU patient.
- List evidence-based intervention strategies appropriate for the NICU infant, and describe important areas in parental education in the NICU.
|0-10 Minutes||Introduction and overview – the NICU environment|
|10-20 Minutes||The special needs of the neonatal patient. Interpreting infant signals|
|20-35 Minutes||Physical therapy examination and the synactive theory|
|35-45 Minutes||Writing goals in the NICU and developing a plan of care.|
|45-60 Minutes||Developmentally appropriate care – evidence for effectiveness|
|60-80 Minutes||Other evidence-based interventions in the NICU|
|80-90 Minutes||The parent perspective|
|90-110 Minutes||Case study interactive activity|
Course Participation Information
To ensure you are ready to participate, please complete our short Test Drive to prepare your computer to view the course.
Login and logout times will be recorded and documented.
Passing an online exam will be required to earn continuing education credit, where applicable.
Live Webinars allow presenter and participant interaction. The exam and course evaluation for these courses must be completed within 7 days of the event.
On-demand courses include texts, video and audio recordings of live webinars, and multimedia formats. The exam and course evaluation for on-demand courses must be completed within 30 days of course registration.
To participate in the course, complete the exam, and earn continuing education credit (where applicable), you must be a CEU Total Access member
PhysicalTherapy.com is committed to providing equal opportunities in accordance with all applicable laws. If you are in need of a disability-related accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. We will review your request and respond in a timely manner. Please note that we will require a minimum of 2 weeks to provide a reasonable accommodation for your request.
Visit our Contact us page or give us a call if you have questions.